A Lifelong Romance

on
Saturday, October 01, 2016
“Love yourself enough to never lower your standards for anyone.

Photo courtesy: Stylenanda

It's past midnight here and there goes a moment of reflection that's meant for a nice write-up about life lately. This year, well not exactly as in January until now, nevertheless the length of time, I've learned so many things about love ever since.

I've learned that in order to love myself, I must behave in certain ways that I admire which means I should change for the sake of my own self, not for someone else out there. I should focus on loving myself, instead of loving the idea of other people loving me. Furthermore, the fact that someone else loves me doesn't rescue me from the project of loving myself.

I've learned to discover the reason of my existence and I've refused to settle for anyone who doesn't completely agree with it. I've learned that it's okay to follow my heart, but I should take my brain along the journey. They said we accept the love we think we deserve. I couldn't agree more with it. Rather than dating someone who treats me with less respect, kindness or empathy, I'd be happier single.

I've learned that it takes more than effort, patience, trust, communication, and appreciation to stay in love. Yet the hard truth: you'll never know what does it take to fall in love. I mean, there's simply no explanation. Ain't you just fall? It doesn't make sense.

I've learned to never demand anyone a closure because, I too, acknowledge they have the rights to remain silent. But I've learned to let go the people who don't give me closure. I deserve someone who will express their feeling with all honesty. After all, why would I commit myself to a person who doesn't respect me?

This past year has taught me to figure out the qualities I should be looking for in a man. Finally, I've learned that love isn't overrated, it's just the society who often gets it twisted.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
22 comments on "A Lifelong Romance"
  1. Oh so beautifully written and such wonderful reflections to have! You are so right about everything you wrote. You basically summed up the who post by when you said in the beginning and the end "Love yourself enough to never lower your standards for anyone.” "love isn't overrated, it's just the society who often gets it twisted."

    I believe it is so important to be who we are, to love ourselves no matter what because if we don't accept ourselves and love ourselves for who we are, no one will. It starts with us first. I have been married for 10 years, together for 14 years and it is a mutual respect between both individuals. There's so much more I could say about this but then this comment who be way too long. Just a really great read! x

    Face to Curls | http://facetocurls.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, thank you so much for reading and the beautiful comment. It's good to know someone who has been married that agrees with the statement "love isn't overrated" :) Hope you have a nice weekend! xo

      Delete
  2. This is a wonderful post! I struggle with the same feelings and although I intellectually know the reasons to love myself completely, I sometimes falter in doing it when I don't meet my expectations in being a person I'd admire. Maybe it's a lifetime journey, but daily awareness is powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Bekka :) By not letting the negativity surrounds us too, I believe, that way we could completely love ourselves. I do hope we can be a better person! xo

      Delete
  3. What you have learned is certainly most important and most true. If only more people realized this. To love one is truly the greatest love affair one will have in their lifetime and it sets up for all the other relationships they will have. Cheers to you for achieving this wisdom :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful words!! me love it so much <33
    always love yourself and put yourself first and be happy dear :))

    cheer, michelle ~ http://livedreammagic.blogspot.co.id/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you've done a lot of soul searching! I completely agree with you - we can't change other people, we can only change ourselves x

    Emma | http://www.fluffandfripperies.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was absolutely beautiful! I learned this lesson several years ago, after a failed relationship. I allowed way too much and was treated as such. Never again! LOL I rather be alone as well. Nobody deserves bad treatment (friendship, relationship or otherwise).
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! Exactly. the society over-rates almost everything in our lives that we often forget that in the end of the day its our choice on how we should our lives not the societies!
    Im also learning to love myself more now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome article and insights into life Mitch :) This post is just so beautiful! Wish you a great week :)

    xx Aldora
    http://bit.ly/NRYxELLA_AldoraMuses

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you have learned to love yourself. It's important as nothing can ever work with anyone if you don't put yourself first.

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its really thoughtful Mitch :)
    memang mencintai diri sendiri itu yg paling penting, and ya everyone struggling and deal with herslf first to love myself

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful read! I find that when you learn something new about yourself and the way of thinking, it's such a milestone. I'm happy for you and thank you for sharing <3

    Stephanie | www.stephykeung.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a beautiful writing<3 definitely agree when it comes to loving yourself first:)
    www.rebelrebel.co x

    ReplyDelete
  13. At 24 (osht, I'm old AF) and being single for all my life (-single ugly tear, LOLjk), I've come to develop an ~I don't need no man~ attitude, and TBH, I genuinely wouldn't mind being a spinster. Since you're basically stuck with yourself forever, you might as well live your life to your expectations/goals/try to live your best life. And really, though you don't need anyone else to 'complete' you, you can only hope that by being out there and enjoying your life, that you find friends/that special someone with similar interests.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Rather than dating someone who treats me with less respect, kindness or empathy, I'd be happier single." Amen, girl! Love this post, and your beautiful writing.

    Kathryn • Simply KK

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are such good lessons and so important. Loving yourself is so important before being able to love anyone else. I'm so glad you've accepted these lessons and thank you for sharing!

    Via Sora || Exploring NYFW and 29 Rooms
    instagram · twitter · pinterest · bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you learned a lot. Sometimes letting go is indeed the best option.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post is very inspiring. I agree with you. Now I know that I deserved a good man not just a boy without conviction or truly love.
    xx



    www.sakuranko.com

    I want invite you to my Velvet Ink Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So TRUE and so well spoken - can agree with everything <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of my life's mantras is "love yourself first". Great post!

    Alix | www.apintsizedlife.com

    ReplyDelete