Propolis For Acne

on
Tuesday, June 10, 2014
Hello, my bumblebees! It's been a hectic week because I've been working on my thesis *sigh* But now I'm back to review one of my current skin care routines.

We all know the good things about honey, don't we? Did you know what bees create to build their hives? Yes, propolis! It is material that bee mixes beeswax with various sap from trees and pollen from flowers. Basically, honey protects their live from the invasion of germs from outside by spreading propolis on entrance and inside of comb!

Humans use it as a natural or homeopathic treatment for a variety of medical situations. Test tube studies have found propolis to be active against a variety of micro-organisms, including bacteria and viruses. In a laboratory study published in 2006 in "Anaerobe," a team of Bulgarian researchers found that a propolis extract was active against most strains of anaerobic bacteria, including Propionibacterenum species (also known as P. acnes) the bacteria responsible for acne inflammation.

Mizon Acence Mark-X Blemish After Cream
Mizon Acence Mark-X Blemish After Cream.

Let me talk about this popular skin care product in Korea. I knew this product from Sample Hime who commented on my Acne Fighting Routine post, she kindly suggested me this product after knowing that my main problem is about scarring. I was extremely fascinated with her review and decided to get the product no matter what! LOL!

mizon mark x blemish cream
Hologram original Mizon sticker.

It was really difficult for me to find this Acence Mark-X Blemish After Cream in Indonesia because Mizon is not sold here unless you buy it online! Online shopping is so convenient but also risky, you know fake stuff and so on. Although the sticker is there, we would never know if it's fake or original since a sticker is also easy to be copied. I was honestly afraid that I got the fake product as the packaging is a wee different regarding the promotional photo on their website. If you notice it really carefully, particularly the red seal on the right side is not wearing a red nurse hat. Well well, then I browsed for more and more, I found out there was also someone who complained the same thing. And here I finally have concluded, they probably has changed the packaging as the manufactured date's unlike the "red nurse hat seal", mine is 131113.

mizon mark x after cream description
The only English description in the packaging.
Mizon Acence Mark-X Blemish After Cream tube
12 months is the recommended usage after you open the seal of the tube.

What it promises:
  1. It is cream for an affected part that resolves complex skin troubles and controls darkish and rosy skin part after squeezing troubles by contained propolis and Centella Asiatica.
  2. It helps the skin healthier as it strengthens up the ability to propagate and resolves complex skin problem by contained lots of propolis extract (12.5%).
  3. It helps to improve darkish and irregular skin tone as it is certified in whitening function and it creates a clear skin by contained licorice extract that is effective for brightening.
  4. It cools down the irritated skin by vegetable ingredients such as Coptis Japonica Root extract, Cordyceps Sinensis extract and protects the skin from formatting blemishes by external stimulus.
  5. It completed dermatology test and minimized skin damage by applying skin-friendly system that is the most natural and safest for the skin.
  6. It excludes ingredients that cause irritation such as paraben, artificial color, artificial scent, talc, mineral oil.
  7. Blemish care solution Acnatural Formula – compotition pantent no. 10-0795513 that contains Rosmarinus acid that makes the skin healthier as it relaxes sensitive skin naturally.
mizon mark x blemish after cream swatch
Yellowish cream.

The texture is thick but if you dab it on your skin, it would become transparent when it's fully absorb. I use this technique in my morning skin care routine before applying makeup. Sometimes, I don't really dab it, I'd just pat and leave it that way until I wake up. It would leave a yellow mark when I wake up but hey, who cares? I've been cleansing my face with milk cleanser prior to washing my face lately, FYI.

Now talking about the scent (or smell to be exact) of the product. It doesn't smell like a usual acne ointment that I use. The smell was not pleasant, weird and all, but as I'm getting used to it, I don't even bother with the smell. As long as it gives a nice effect to my skin, I will suffer. HA! One plus thing, it doesn't sting at all.

(UPDATED ON JULY 5TH: It stings when you put this cream on a popped pimple, you know the one with blood. After understanding the real usage of this cream from Sample Hime, I started to try using the cream on the popped pimples. Sometimes, I'd just pop it intentionally when I don't usually do so that I could test this product LOL. But seriously, I don't recommend you to pop pimple, unless you're damn curious like me. It still leaves acne marks no matter what!)

You could tell I had such a high expectation to it. The result is not that visible, it's not that overnight miracle kind of product. I have acne scars that even chemical peeling couldn't make it totally disappear. I think it's still in an early stage to judge, but the result has satisfied me thus far for the red marks and I will continue using this cream on my scars after applying my morning or night cream. Just look forward to the updates, yes?

Caution: People who are allergic to bee products like honey or royal jelly should not use propolis, as this substance might cause an allergic reaction. Reactions have also been reported in people who are allergic to poplar and conifer trees. Women who are pregnant or nursing should also consult a physician before using propolis for acne.

Price: IDR 150k

---
TaeYang - Eyes, Nose, Lips.

TaeYang - 1AM.

I mustn't be the only one who's fangirling like cray over these MV, right?! Those abs, eyes, nose, and lips. Not to mention, the bed scene. Just, stahp Dong YoungBae, stahp being so sexay! You're so damn fine I could cry T^T OHMYGAWD!
 photo ODB A BEAUTY BLOG SIGN_zpsevlfleqo.png
66 comments on "Propolis For Acne"
  1. I've heard that propolis has antibiotic and anti inflammatory properties so I can see how it could be used to treat acne. Yes buying online can kind of be like gambling sometimes right XD

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good review!
    I really like the packaging :P

    Lu, www.balgarka.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the template you have chosen for your blog. about this product I have no idea and this is the first time I heard about it. in addition, the way you took the photos is nice, I love it
    Good luck

    check out my today's post :)
    tobelikealady.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear, I'm glad you enjoyed reading it :)

      Delete
  4. i have problems with minor acne too that leaves scars, ive tried a lot of things. even the latest tea tree oil trend, it doesn't really do much for me :( i cant wait to see an update on whether or not this product helps so i know what to invest in too!

    x hersilvershoes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah.. I think salicylic acid or sulphur does better job than tea tree oil :D I can't wait to see the result too on my dark marks :)

      Delete
  5. I've never heard about this product, but it sounds awesome! I'm a skin care freak so I'll probably give it a try.

    And no, you're not the only one spazzing about Taeyang, he is perfect!

    xx
    http://theisolatedqueen.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks promising but we'll see soon! I'll wait for the updates before buying myself one! thanks for sharing!

    www.justsoapril.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use propulis on my blemishes, too! Especially when they get really nasty. :( It helps them calm down so much and the next day they're as good as gone!
    I'm excited to hear if this cream is actually going to help you in the longer term. :)
    x
    Elina
    http://cupcake-kissesxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! It does help to reduce the redness :D I hope I'd enjoy using this as much as you do.

      Delete
  8. I'm lookinf forward for your updt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds very nice :) I don't have big problems with acne but I would like to try it out! ^_-*

    ❤ ✿ MY BLOG ✿ ❤
    Rinako

    ReplyDelete
  10. too bad about the cream! seems like royal jelly would be a good ingredient in this product

    http://heyprettything.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Learnt something new about bees today. Propolis sounds like a wonderful skincare ingredient!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha the things (smell) we would put up with for the sake of beauty x'D

    Do you think this would help get rid of small bumps? I have a little problem on my forehead, and right now I suspect it's bacterial contamination of the products I use since I never had problems. I'm not very knowledgeable on skincare, so do you think this product would help? @@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on my experience so far, this cream does help me to fade the post-acne red marks, but I didn't see if it helps to treat my acne. I used to have small tiny bumps too on my forehead :/ Later I found it was because of my fringe, so I grow my fringe and always clip them whenever I'm home :)

      Delete
    2. ahh okay thank you ^^ I'll have to look into other methods then!

      Delete
  13. Well, talking about skincare means talking about patience after all ^_^

    Hazeldazel Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post, I look forward to see how you get on with it:)

    //teandtwosugars.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow this sounds amazing! I suffer from acne scars so will have to give this a try! Great post :)
    Carrie xx
    carriebrighton

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never heard of this product before but I am willing to try any product right now that will help with acne! I have 2 giant planets sitting on my chin right now and i just want them to go away! :(

    Eat. Live. Love. Repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. usefull review, thanks for sharing. btw oh i love taeyang too!!!

    xo Diras,
    AYUADIRAS.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  18. ah I actually never heard of this brand before so thank you for reviewing this!

    xx
    christineadelina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This product sounds interesting so bad that doesn´t works very good. Thank your for your honest ad detailed review Mizon is one of my fav brands but well maybe this product is not the best.
    xx

    www.sakuranko.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing, let us know how it turns out! :)

    Hunni of TIFFANYXOXO.COM

    ReplyDelete
  21. I actually love reading your blog as I find out about products which you don't normally see on other blogs - this sounds like a really nice product but will wait to see what you think in the long-term.

    If products don't work overnight I'm happy to keep trying them for a while and see what results will come of it :)

    Layla xx

    www.sprinklesofstyle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear! I'm so glad that you enjoyed reading my blog :) I will surely update this post! ^^

      Delete
  22. I am glad to see you have time to share with all of us.
    I remember the days of thesis's and long papers. It was not fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Thesis is boring :( However, I must finish it. Thanks for reading ^^

      Delete
  23. Did I read Bulgarian research team? :D It's rare for us to be mentioned in something good, haha.
    But I agree propolis does such a good job. I've used propolis tincture in my mouth cavity to treat some aphthae or whatever those little buggers are called and it did it for me :)
    Ohhh, some pretty TaeYang times~ Must listen to these because surprisingly I've been living under a cave recently and I haven't heard them.

    blog | the pastel daisy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, do you mean canker sore? :D I didn't know propolis can treat canker sore too. Usually, I'd just put Kenalog or Albothyl. LOL. But I'm not sure if my propolis can be applied to the canker sore as well :/ Cause it's said for acne treatment hahaha..

      Delete
  24. I wish this was around when I was younger, I use to hate getting blemishes! But now that I'm older I hardly get them. Good luck on your thesis paper, I promise all the hard work will pay off <3
    xoxo
    ĂŸerry ♥ Stylish  

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I would never get blemishes anymore. LOL. Thank you dear ^^ *fingers crossed*

      Delete
  25. It's great that you've posted about this as I've no doubt any tips will help others greatly! I used to have acne and it was so demoralising to look in the mirror at it, I was always pretty hesitant to try different products on my skin though in fear of rashes (super sensitive skin)!! Great share!

    http://findmethoseheels.blogspot.co.uk/
    - I follow back on Bloglovin' -

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Couldn't agree more with you :( I feel that way too when I have pimple. Thanks for reading, dear ^^ Have a nice day!

      Delete
  26. OMG! Taeyang is like the hottest person on earth! And we have the same problem. I have a tonne of acne scars and some are even from puberty (which was like sooo many years ago!) It really is difficult to find a product that can help with this skin problem. Give us an update after using this for a few months! :)

    Jenn
    The Pink Lemonade Girl

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great review sweetheart...Thx for sharing..:-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is the first time I am hearing about this product sounds very interesting.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Beautetude

    ReplyDelete
  29. So worked blog.. and very interesting beauty posts!

    I invite you to visit my blog too.. and follow if you liked it! I can follow you back if you want..

    Regards!

    Enai's Soul

    ReplyDelete
  30. It looks promising! I wanna ask you about product to reduce scars? thanks for sharing

    xx
    Overload Journals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one promises to reduce acne scars, so far I don't see any significant results for my deep scar. However, it works for the red marks (the marks you get from old pimple). Hope it helps ^^

      Delete
  31. I'm not sure if you have already done this, but I nominated you for a survey called The Liebster Award. :)

    Hunni of TIFFANYXOXO.COM

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello lovely, thank you for the sweet comment on my blog, I really appreciate it!

    I'm your newest follower and look forward to your next post - you look gorgeous here! :)

    I've just uploaded Part Two of my Barcelona Photo Diary, and would love to hear your thoughts:

    http://electricsunrise.blogspot.co.uk/

    xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  33. Stumbled upon your lovely blog. Thanks for sharing the video too! Follow each other?
    Luxury Haven

    ReplyDelete
  34. My jaw dropped when I read "recommended price 23,000" because I momentarily forgot it wouldn't be in pounds. Oops XD
    Eleanor -
    https://elesaurusrawr.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLLL. You made my day! I'd rather buy something else for 23k GBP xD

      Delete
  35. Great post
    I will have to try this
    I'm now following you on BlogLovin and GFC
    Rachel XX
    http://bubbleblush11.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  36. I have not heard of this product..but want to try it
    http://www.leavepillow.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  37. I absolutely love the packaging! Super cute <3
    Hope you're having a lovely Friday!!xx

    ♥ ♡ ♥ ♡ GIVEAWAY ♥ ♡ ♥ ♡

    Creme de la Chic

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a lovely a thorough review! I am obsessed with both Japanese and Korean skincare, so I will definitely be looking this product up.

    Beautiful blog :)

    Amber
    A Mused Blog

    ReplyDelete
  39. I hope you'll get better results overtime, I'm really hoping it will work good. I hate it when my pimples leave scars, better to prevent it than treat it. I'm so interested in trying that product! Thanks for the helpful review. :)

    Take care always, love Christine ~ xx
    BLOG | BLOGLOVIN' | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love the Korean's skincare and I 've been using also. perfect reviews.

    http://www.attraction2fashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Looks like a really great product, thanks for sharing!

    Much love xxx
    Christinanista.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. I wish I could find it at my country.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Ooh this look interesting. Hopefully you will start to see some results with continued use, as I've heard excellent things about honey in general.

    Sarah xo | PolkaDotLemon

    ReplyDelete
  44. thankyou for your lovely review! anyway i'm also a fan of taeyang, high five! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! His eye smile is just adorable, right? ^^

      Delete
  45. Very detailed review and good luck with your thesis, I know how stressful they can be!! Thanks for coming by the blog, I hope you come by again for more fashion inspiration!!

    http://sincerelymissj.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi Mitch! I've never had any luck with acne ointments.... maybe it's because I am really lazy and if i don't results IMMEDIATELY i will think it doesn't work... this looks like a promising one, although i thought the important ingredient in acne ointments is drying agent (to dry up the zit hehe) but the propolis sounds like a moisturizing agent?! I can be totally wrong hehehe

    xoxo, Mango

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like to wait too, but acne treatments take time xD This cream is dedicated for post acne marks, so it can't dry up the zit. Yup, it's pretty moisturizing, it contains hyaluronic acid and olive oil too :D

      Delete
  47. This product look so nice i also use an acne treatment that contains propolis it's quite amazing ;]

    btw i m also fanboying over Taeyoung MV lol

    ReplyDelete
  48. Ahhhh dear, this isn't intended for just lightening acne marks though. I hate to say, but most people are using this cream very wrong. This cream is intended for use RIGHT after you pop a blemish--I mean literally within a few minutes of popping your blemish. The cream prevents the fibrin matrix from creating too large of a scar, and so instead of having a huge scab you will only have a small opening from where you popped a pimple. A few girls have told me it works okay for their blemishes (before they pop them) but of course it is even in the name that this is meant for *After-Blemish.* IMO an AHA peeling product will help you lighten your scars (also licorice and vitamin-C serums) more than this product. This product is better at preventing scars when your acne is healing, not after a scar has already formed.

    I hope you will try it this way it is meant instead! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear! Thank you so much for commenting on this post. You really enlighten me!
      So that's why it only works on the red marks on my skin. LOL! So foolish that I was complaining cause it doesn't lighten the scars when this product is not even intended for that x_x
      Thanks dear once again :)

      Delete